Home > Discover OLQP > School Information > School Mission / Vision / Values / Motto / School History

School Mission / Vision / Values / Motto / School History

Our Mission

A Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus School is a Christ-centered school community where all work together for the promotion of truth, justice, freedom and love, with special reference to the needs of persons who are disadvantaged in any way.

Our Vision

Enthusiastic Learner, Humble Leader, Gracious Lady

Our Values

Truth, Justice, Freedom and Love

Our Motto

Simple in Virtue, Steadfast in Duty

School History

School Logo.jpg

History of IJ Schools

The story of the Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus (CHIJ) in Singapore began with the founding of the first CHIJ school in 1854. The first group of IJ Sisters set sail to Malaya in 1851 in response to a request by Father Jean-Marie Beurel to set up Christian schools for girls. Singapore received its pioneering group of IJ Sisters comprising Mother Mathilde Raclot, Mother St Appollinaire, Sister St Gregory Connolly and Mother St Gaetan in 1854. The sisters lived in a house called Caldwell House and they established the first Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus (CHIJ) school in Victoria Street.

History of Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus Our Lady Queen of Peace

In the decades that followed, other CHIJ schools were established throughout Singapore. Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus Our Lady Queen of Peace (formerly known as Bukit Timah Convent and CHIJ Bukit Timah) is one of the eleven schools belonging to the congregation of the Infant Jesus. It was the seventh school to be founded by the Infant Jesus Sisters in 1955. It started with sixty-two students with Miss Ursula Koh as the first Principal. The school was housed temporarily at the St. Joseph Sino-English School and was moved to its present site in 1957.

In 1961, a secondary section was started. In 1973, because of the inadequate facilities for secondary education, the congregation phased out the secondary section to amalgamate with the secondary section of Boys Town School.

From January 1975, the school became a full primary school. The school was rebuilt under PRIME (Programme for Rebuilding and Improving Existing Schools) from June 2005 to June 2007.

In June 2007, the school moved back to its brand new campus at Chestnut Drive with up-to-date physical infrastructure and facilities to provide a better environment for our students to learn and develop their potential. These new/additional facilities include additional computer laboratories, new IT resource rooms, bigger classrooms (90m2 classrooms instead of the former 65m2 classrooms), bigger and better equipped media resource library, new health and fitness room, counseling room, Prayer Room, Math room and Science rooms.

In 2017, the school underwent PERI (Primary Education Review and Implementation) upgrading works. This included the construction of a new block comprising additional classrooms, Student Care Centre, Outdoor Experiential Learning Area, jogging track, Indoor Sports Hall and the refurbishment of other facilities in the school.

Following the completion of the PERI upgrading works, the school has continued to enhance its environment. Learning spaces have been created to support student learning and engagement, and encourage innovation in teaching and learning. Through these continuous improvements, CHIJ Our Lady Queen of Peace aims to provide an exciting and conducive schools for students, staff, parents and visitors.